Sunday 2 May 2004

in a perverse attempt to cheer myself up, I am going to plagiarize (is that how you spell it? ) myself...... and whoever wrote the fine song that follows:

I have heard many bad songs in my life, but none as exquisitely awful as "Run Joey Run" by David Geddes. This tragic tale of unplanned pregnancy and the violence that it caused was actually #3 on the Disco charts in 1975...although I would not actually consider it disco (it was right behind Glenn Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy" which I would not call disco, either- who knew there was ever such a thing as a disco chart, anyhow?). I was a mere infant that year, and might have missed out on the hearing this dumb song if it weren't for my older sister and her 8-track tape of it. I would weep openly upon hearing it, not quite grasping the plot but realizing somebody died at the end... Without further ado- the lyrics...

RUN, JOEY, RUN by DAVID GEDDES

(ANGELIC CHOIR AHH-ING)

Voice of Julie, who sounds approximately 12 years old::
Daddy, please don't - it wasn't his fault
He means so much to me
Daddy, please don't, we're gonna get married
Just you wait and see

Joey (David Geddes):
Every night, the same old dream
I hate to close my eyes
I can't erase the memories
The sound of Julie's cries...
She called me up, late that night
And she said, "Joe, don't come over
My dad and I just had a fight
And he stormed out the door
I've never seen him act this way
My God, he's goin' crazy
He say's he's gonna make you pay
For what we've done
He's got a gun so
RUN, JOEY, RUN, JOEY, RUN!"

Julie again:
Daddy, please don't, it wasn't his fault
He means so much to me
Daddy, please don't, we're gonna get married
Just you wait and see

Joey (who doesn't follow directions):
Got in my car and I drove like mad
Till I reached Julie's place
She ran to me, with tear-filled eyes
And bruises on her face
All at once, I saw him there
Sneaking up behind me (Julie: Watch out!)
Then Julie yelled "He's got a gun!"
And she stepped in front of me
Suddenly, a shot rang out, and I saw Julie falling
I ran to her, I held her close
When I looked down, my hands were red
And here's the last words Julie said...

Julie (softly):
Daddy, please don't
It wasn't his fault
He means so much to me
Daddy please don't
We're gonna ... get... mar-ried...

(ANGELIC CHOIR AAH-ING AGAIN)

RUN, JOEY, RUN, JOEY, RUN, JOEY, RUN, JOEY, RUN, JOEY, RUN, JOEY, RUN!

This song seemed to be part of a sub-genre of music, which is a song where someone dies at the end (or in the case of "Seasons in the Sun" is dying while writing the song..."perhaps he was dictating"). Other examples include "Billy, Don't Be a Hero", "Teen Angel", "Country Bumpkin", "Honey" and one that I believe was called "Rocky" and contained the immortal lyric, "Rocky, I've never had to die before, don't know if I can do it."




yeah a bad song cheers me up every time! hooboy!

No comments: